I’m one of those people who craves spicy foods, a lot. While at school at Arizona State, my friends and I would eat at a little place in Downtown Phoenix called the Cafe at the Phoenix Public Market. Here I would always get the same thing – the beans and rice.
To me, it had a little kick and wasn’t too heavy. It’s perfect for dinner after a workout or feeling bad for eating 10 dark chocolate covered marshmallows. What? You don’t do that? Anyways, this is my first developed recipe all by myself. Let me know what you think!
– 1/2 cup of rice (whatever kind you prefer)
– 1/4 white onion
– 1 clove of garlic
– 2 tbsp. butter
– 1 can of black beans
– 1/4 a tsp. of each: cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper
– 1/2 tomato
– 1/2 jalapeno
– 1/2 avocado
– 1/2 lime
– Few of leaves of cilantro
1. Go ahead and start the rice. This will vary depending on the type of rice used. Mix the rice with a cup of water. Then, add a tablespoon of butter. Bring the water to a boil. Once it begins to boil, turn the stove down to the lowest setting and cover. Let simmer while cooking beans. (Stir every once in awhile.)
2. Chop the onion and garlic. Place a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Drop a piece of the onion to test the heat. Once the butter starts to bubble around the onion, pour in the rest. Stir occasionally.
3. While the onion and garlic are sautéing, open the can of beans and drain them. Once the onions are translucent, pour in the beans.
4. Measure out and add the cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Stir. Add salt to taste. Let cook for 10 minutes so the beans can take in the flavors. Stir occasionally.
5. While waiting, cut up the tomato, jalapeno and avocado. I cut my avocado into slices, but it doesn’t matter. Also, pull a few leaves of cilantro off the plant and wash them. Tear them a little.
6. In a bowl, put in the rice and then the beans. Then top with the tomato, jalapeno, avocado and cilantro. Squeeze some lime on top. Enjoy!